We will play this by ear, but here are the general plans for inclement weather. You should have your own personal safety plan. If you are already on the ride, seek shelter. Here are suggestions from NOAA
- Light rain only – the ride is still a go
- Heavy torrential rain – delay releasing riders until it eases up
- Lightning/torrential rain – We’ll start with a delay before we cancel. The building at the fairgrounds is huge and should hold most riders and bikes or you can wait in your car. Hold riders until 30 minutes after the last thunder. (Lightning can travel an extraordinary distance)
- If lightning/torrential rain continues until 10 am, close the 100 mile route. 100 mile riders can still ride the shorter routes or have pie and ice cream and go home.
- If lightning/torrential rain continues until 11 am, close the 50 mile route. 100 and 50 mile riders can still ride the Trail route or have pie and ice cream and go home.
- If lightning/torrential rain continues until 12, cancel the ride, serve pie and ice cream to those who are still hanging around and send riders home.